Thursday 6 December 2012

Where were we?

Apologies for the long absence, the result of a few factors, firstly I have used up my storage quota with goggle hence I need to decide if I will continue blogging and go ahead with buying more storage.  A decision I am yet to make.  And secondly the internet connection at The Rockwell is average and I am achieving very little online.

Anyhoo enough about that... we are in CAPE TOWN!!! It is unreal, hot, busy and a city.  The wide, foggy, dusty & cold streets of Swakop seem so far away and it is with some distance that I am in awe of the life we just lived! I'm a city girl who now lives at the beach but never have I lived in a small "country/desert" town  and it is only now that I am back in the city that I realise how small Swakop really was.  It was great but hello big smoke we missed you.

Since arriving almost 3 weeks ago it has been non stop. Birthday parties, Nash's at the The Aquarium, Marli & Tyler's on the Jolly Roger and Jen's 40th birthday sunset cruise. So much shopping, an evening at Zara, across the road at the Cape Quarter and Saturday mornings at the Old Biscuit Mill Market. Adventures at the beautiful Green Point playground,  a harbour cruise on Tommy the Tug, mornings at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens, day trips to World of Birds and Boulders Beach to frolic with the penguins. Some hairy moments on top of the magnificent Table Mountain.  Long lunches with Ryan and his new family.  Lots of time with a dread free Jen. Swimming in the pool, almost swimming at the beach.  All the while Steve continues to slave away doing 6 day weeks at work but its only two more days to go now ...  of course that would be two more day/nights, thank you very much!

Cape Town is an extraordinary city, there is so much incredible fashion, design and food. There is the beauty of the mountain & the beach juxtaposed with the realities of African life, the begging, the poverty and the townships.  The beaches are gorgeous but forget about swimming, it is so bloody cold a two minute dip/submersion is all I could manage.  This amazing city on the southern tip of Africa is so utterly African and so utterly global, a true mix of worlds, first, third and everything in between.

I feel so lucky to be here, to look out our window and marvel at Table Mountain. We are having a ball, it feels like a holiday (don't tell Steve) and the perfect way to end our African safari.  I am so in the mode of being away it is almost impossible to imagine being at home but in 2 short weeks this little family of travelers will once again call Australia home.


PS - so many great photos to share but until the storage situation this all I can manage.

1 comment:

  1. can feel the energy in this post! sounds brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete